Wednesday, August 10, 2011

one/half.

"Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a great cloud of witnesses, let us throw off everything that hinders and the sin that so easily entangles, and let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God.  Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart." [Hebrews 12:1-3]
"Do you not know that in a race all the runners run, but only one gets the prize? Run in such a way as to get the prize. Everyone who competes in the games goes into strict training. They do it to get a crown that will not last; but we do it to get a crown that will last forever." [1 Corinthians 9: 24-25]
"I can do everything through him who gives me strength." [Phil. 4:13]
Well, I suppose this makes it official. Or more official than just thinking about it or saying that I am going to do this. My dear, spontaneous friend, Cap, and I are going to begin training for running in a half marathon later on this fall. I hope I follow through. I hope I can fit in the training runs amidst a new school, a new schedule, digging into more theology than I have ever immersed myself in before. I know it's going to take a ton of endurance, time, and possibly some pain.

But people do this all the time, I remind myself. And oh yeah, you did run 4 years of Cross Country in High School. You can do this. We can do this.

Only with the power of Christ in me am I going to be able to survive this endeavor. And knowing that a friend is training for the same thing...just a mere 11.5 hours away from me is just the start of encouragement for me.


Let the training journey begin!


No comments:

Post a Comment