Saturday, July 23, 2011

"The Russians are coming!"

"Now there are varieties of gifts, but the same Spirit; and there are varieties of service, but the same Lord; and there are varieties of activities, but it is the same God who empowers them all in everyone. To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good." [1 Corinthians 12: 4-7]
"Having gifts that differ according to the grace given to us, let us use them: if prophecy, in proportion to our faith; if service, in our serving; the one who teaches, in his teaching; the one who exhorts, in his exhortation; the one who contributes, in generosity; the one who leads, with zeal; the one who does acts of mercy, with cheerfulness." [Romans 12: 6-8]
It's true, it's true: "the Russians are coming, the Russians are coming". In about a half hour two 20-something-year-old females from Russia will be making a home here. My family is hosting them I think for 2 weeks and I'm excited. Unfortunately, I only get to see them during their second week stay with us. Many times during my childhood I've been able to think that infamous movie quote and it's been true. I like to think that I've been exposed to many different cultures due to the fact that my parents have been hosting foreign exchange students and businessmen and women for many years. It's super cool to do this as we've been educated about different parts of the world we may not have come to know about otherwise. I especially enjoy holidays around my home because we receive random phone calls every so often from friends across the sea.

In my reflections on the day...I am so blessed to know so many friends. Those around my age, those younger and older than me. People from all different walks of life. People that care and are passionate about their own special thing. Those that have so many gifts and talents and interesting hobbies that I couldn't even begin to master myself. I'm blessed to know people that do so much and share their gifts and talents with me.
 
It's so cool that God has designed us each to be unique and each to find our own way of using the gifts He's blessed us with to serve Him and those He places around us. May we all be able to look at the gifts we have and use them all to His glory. Afterall, without Him, we couldn't do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment